The Patient Safety Incident Response Framework (PSIRF) has 4 key aims: compassionate support and engagement with those affected, a systems-based approach to learning, proportionate responses and supportive oversight focused on strengthening response systems functioning and improvement.
Philippa Slinger: a highly experienced former Director of NHS England (East of England region) Chief Executive of Devon STP and Managing Director of Care UK (now Practice Plus Group) she is currently CQC Member of Expert Advisory Panel for System Regulation, is consulting for Tees, Esk and Wear Valley NHS FT and is a Senior Advisor to Newton Europe.
Kate Hill and Jo Haswell: lawyers and Independent Investigators.
The course will contain a facilitated discussion session on changes organisations will need to make to its oversight systems and processes to be PSIRF compliant.
Those providing oversight within organisations must have an adequate level of knowledge and experience to ensure that investigations and learning responses are actively leading to
improvements in patient safety.
“A final report should be produced for all individual PSIIs, and this reviewed and signed off as complete. Sign-off of provider-led PSIIs is the responsibility of the board/leadership team of the
The PSIRF executive lead should be responsible for reviewing PSII reports in line with the patient safety incident response standards and signing it off as finalised.”
Accordingly the session will cover:
- An overview of PSIRF and the overriding principles
- The PSIRF oversight mindset – 6 principles
- Organisational responsibility of providers of NHS funded care as well as the ICB, NHS England and the CQC
- The accountability of provider executive board members and the implications of getting it wrong
- The new oversight approach
- Questions to guide provider board oversight of patient safety management and improvement
- Proportionate responses
- Supportive and compassionate engagement including the practical challenges that investigators will face
- How to quality assure a Patient Safety Incident Investigation and other learning responses with reference to the Patient Safety Incident
- Response Standards
- Development and monitoring of safety action development plans